Posted: Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:55 PM
Below is specific information for you to consider about this position.
Job Title: Special Education Assistant : River Bend and Requisition ID number: 49478
Site: Locations may vary on a routine basis.
Close Date: No established closing date; open until filled
Full/Part Time: Varies
Functional Area: Paraprofessional
This position is a candidate pool and not a specific position at a school or department. This position may require an initial screening interview before being placed into the Candidate Pool. There may not be an available position(s) at the time of application but positions can become available at any time. The candidate pool is used to refer qualified applicants to the site/department with the open position. Human Resources will process your application, and once approved, your name will be sent to the Site(s) and or Department(s) with available positions.
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory for any position.
:SPEN (Special Programs Elementary Needs)
Intervention : Provide support in the least restrictive environment so that students can be successful in resource settings; ensure that behavior support plans are being implemented with fidelity for students in special education resource settings. Personal transportation is required as position may move from site to site.
Following July 15th, current MPS Special Education Assistants are ineligible for voluntary transfers within their job title through the end of the school year. The SEA transfer process for the following school year will reopen in early spring. (MFT 59 Contract Article 20.3)
Under general supervision, provides a variety of services to assist students with special needs in a learning environment; assists MPS staff to develop and implement appropriate individualization lessons and activities for students with disabilities; helps students to meet their therapy and education goals.
* Provide support services to children with moderate to severe disabilities and Assist MPS staff to facilitate educational functions and other services that maintains a safe and productive learning environment, sensitive to the needs and legal rights of Special Education students; work with students to improve personal skills and reinforce classroom learning.
* Assist students in learning processes through reinforcement of positive behavior, individual instruction, socialization and good communications.
* Monitor student activities, promote respect, explain social norms and disciplinary consequences, de:escalate personal confrontations.
* Maintain behavior documentation, written observations and anecdotal information files for Support and Advocacy for Independent Living Program (SAIL), Individualized Education Program (IEP), and Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA).
* Monitor work, correct papers and transition students for medications, meals, buses and classes.
* Attend to and provide for students daily hygiene, personal and health related cares, as directed by licensed staff. Assist students in community, recreational, school and vocational training. Provide assistance to students in classrooms and after:school programs.
Associates Degree AND two years of experience working with children. Associates Degree in Education or Child Development is preferred.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
First Aid/CPR/AED, Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training, and Special Education Core and Disability training is required within one year.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree, and working with special needs children. Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pound
• Location: Minneapolis / St. paul
• Post ID: 29406932 minneapolis